I would think that a native compilation of an AMP stack on Windows should outperform an emulated LAMP stack. But it seems I'm wrong. Very informally, using bench.php here are my very informal results: Windows/XAMPP: total time: 29.869 sec VBox/Ubuntu Server/AMP Package: 20.075 sec
Well, I popped the champagne too soon. When I bought this Dell laptop, I configured a dual-boot Win7/Ubuntu hoping to use VirtualBox (4.2.0) rawdisk access to access the other partition when running. As time progresses, I'm using Windows more frequently, so I'd be content to occasionally access the Ubuntu partition. After several attempts over several months, I have been unable to get the setup to work. Last week, however, I successfully created a vmdk rawdisk access file, and booted ubuntu from VirtualBox. It was awesome.
Ever on the hunt for a better project management tool, Redmine pops up quite a bit in my research, so I thought installing it would be worthwhile. These instructions are clear, but it helps if you've managed a CentOS server before. I had conflicting packages (e.g., mysql, ImageMagick) I had to resolve before I could install required dev packages for the full required gems for Redmine. Running the dev "webrick" server confirmed a successful install.
A quick note. I've been struggling with frequent crashes on my laptop. There's a lot of articles on Firefox and Flash stability issues, but that wasn't ailing me. The fear of a full OS reload from scratch loomed darkly over my schedule. I also noticed that my sound wasn't working. Uninstalling and reinstalling the sound drivers fixed everything. (Which makes sense after the fact, that Flash would hang when the audio system became unresponsive.) Hope that helps someone facing this annoyance.
I've been struggling with an intermittant but nevertheless constant problem with a linode 512 server I manage, two apache virtual hosted sites on said server and one or the other of the virtual sites doing frequent 500 errors. Apache error logs showed nothing (first mistake) and free memory was slight but never going OOM. I wrongly guessed that this was symptomatic of a low memory instance and watched the server and rebooted as needed. A recent outaged pushed my curiosity further. WordPress has a debug mode. It writes errors to the live page and lo, there's the problem.
I've spent the past month knee-deep in umbraco, and, yes, it's been quite rewarding. My criticisms remain, though I must also emphasize the performance of an umbraco site is a pure joy to behold. Today I found myself in a problem that I was able to fix through a number of disparate posts through the interwebs and wish to make it a single thread here.
Over a year ago, one of our Drupal sites was hacked (my bad, lesson learned) and the troublemaker created 8000+ spam pages to our site. Ouch. Removing them from the Drupal CMS was surprisingly trivial; but that wasn't my concern. As the attack had gone undetected for several days, Google dutifully indexed a large portion of the steaming spammy content. Feh. My Drupal databases's watchdog message queue was full of apache 404 errors for the now-removed URLs.
There's much talk and angst about the D6 to D7 upgrade process, and for good reason. Drupal 7 brings a lot of changes, and content and data migration is further complicated by how you've constructed your site. A "core-only" upgrade should be trivial, but add a few modules, template.php overrides, page template customizations, custom modules, and you've got quite an upgrade to manage.